For many decades, TV advertising was the way to reach a large audience where they felt the most comfortable—on their living room sofas! Times have certainly changed, and TV is no longer the only way, nor is it necessarily the best way, to market your company’s products or services. TV advertising remains expensive while its ability to reach a large audience has declined.
People are consuming media on various platforms these days, not just through a cable subscription. They connect to media through tablets, smartphones, and computers, all of which are linked to the internet. They consume podcasts, watch video media on YouTube, stream shows and movies, and engage with social media—all of these entertainment opportunities have diverted attention away from traditional cable shows.
They also shop online, which provides opportunities for marketing products. Consumers are on the internet for much of the day, which makes the digital environment the place to advertise.
Learn more about why you should market online rather than on television.
Are There Any Benefits of Television Advertising in 2021?
Companies still advertise on television, so it can be effective for large companies that can afford the spend to advertise on TV, especially during certain televised events or under special circumstances.
- For instance, major sporting events are known to be great times to advertise on TV.
- For a show that has loyal fans, you could reach a large audience on a consistent basis through TV advertisements.
- TV is a visual way to advertise products, so it can be a great option for companies that have visual products or have a product that needs to be demonstrated to an audience.
- Additionally, for those with smaller budgets or a business that relies on local customers only, you could target your TV advertising efforts to a niche, small, or local TV channel.
Cons of TV Advertising
- Although TV advertising used to be the way to go when it came to reaching a large audience, there are many other outlets (usually cheaper options) for reaching large audiences online now. With many cable customers cutting the cord and going to streaming platforms, companies are often better off choosing to advertise on the internet.
- There is a lack of targeting in TV advertising, which can be a drawback for some companies. Other than targeting based on age group or channel, you really can’t hyperfocus your advertisements to a specific audience.
- Advertising is expensive on TV. You might be able to work out a deal with a local TV station, but overall, this is a pricey advertising method.
Digital marketing has many advantages over TV advertising you should know about.
Advantages of Digital Advertising
There are a number of advantages digital marketing has over traditional TV advertising. For starters, digital marketing is more diverse, allowing you to get creative in how you market your company’s products. Here are a few more advantages digital marketing has over television advertising.
You cannot ever market on television for free. It will always cost you to advertise. However, there are some ways to market online that are completely free! You can send newsletters and emails. You can write blogs, post your products or services on social media, or trade marketing opportunities with others in your industry. You can potentially reach your audience online without spending a dime!
More Marketing Opportunities
With the internet, there are so many marketing outlets to choose from. What works for one company may not work for you, but that’s okay—because you have a number of other marketing options. TV advertising is pretty much one-size-fits-all.
For example, maybe you know someone who markets their company well on social media, but that may not be the best option for your company. Maybe you could do better with paid search advertising (PPC).
With digital marketing, you have more choices. You could choose from the following digital marketing strategies:
- SEO (search engine optimization)
- Paid search (pay-per-click advertising)
- Social media marketing and advertising - LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.
- Content marketing - blogs, guest blogging, newsletters, email marketing
- Affiliate advertising
You also have more options online with regard to budget flexibility. Television advertising is almost always expensive. You may have better rates depending on the time of day or the channel you are advertising on, but you don’t have nearly as many options. With digital marketing, you can set the parameters on how much money you want to spend. You can do some free advertising or even work out partnerships with others online for guest blogging opportunities, affiliate marketing, or link-building.
Internet marketing allows you to target your audience more effectively and efficiently. You can advertise to those who are sure to like your goods and services rather than market to people who happen to be watching a show at a particular time of day.
Some forms of digital marketing allow you to hone your target audience down to a specific set of people. For instance, you can market to one gender, one location, or to people who are searching for particular goods or services using a specific set of keywords.
Social media allows you to market to groups of people, and the use of hashtags can further narrow your advertising focus.
With digital marketing, you can advertise using your creative talents.
- Maybe you aren’t able to design the best website, but you are an excellent photographer. You can take fabulous photos that market your company’s products on social media.
- Or perhaps you are a great writer and can market your products or services on a blog.
- Maybe video media is more your thing, and you can develop a successful YouTube channel.
- Perhaps you have a larger budget and can use PPC (pay-per-click) advertising to get the word out about your business.
Digital Marketing vs. TV Advertising: More Choices, Greater Flexible, and Less Expensive
There is more flexibility with digital marketing than there is with TV advertising, and internet marketing can be cheaper overall. While there are cons to TV advertising, there are few with digital marketing. If one internet marketing strategy is not right for you, there are others to choose from.
If marketing your products online yourself is not something you feel confident about, you can work with companies that specialize in internet marketing. Digital marketing experts can handle your marketing efforts, so you can focus on developing your business.